Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Back to life, back to reality...




It was a magical ten…no wait, make that nine, noooo…eight days in the beautiful Indonesian archipelago. Well, however many days I was actually in the country did not seem like enough. With over 17 thousand islands to explore, I doubt an entire lifetime would be enough! Under the guise of the mandatory “visa run,” I was able to embark on a dream vacation. Yes, when I explain to my co-workers I was absent last week because I had to take my visa run (which IS true: the particular visa all the ex-pats in the office have requires that we leave the host country every 180 days from the entry date stamped in our passports), they laugh knowingly: “Uh huh, sure, visa run. Did you enjoy your holiday?” To which I heartily respond, “Oh yeah!”



Seven days were spent enjoying the beaches, the jungles, the rice terraces, the Hindu temples, the people of Bali, and most importantly, time with Ben. The Balinese are very proud of their culture and their traditions. Approximately 85% of its population considers themselves Hindu (Indonesia is a Muslim nation). Every taxi driver we had was very open about his beliefs and was a great guide to understanding the sights and sounds around us. Living in a Hindu nation, myself, I found the differences in the religion here fascinating, and sometimes surprising. The drivers taught us how to differentiate between Balinese and those born off the island—for example, all sons (and daughters, I believe) are given names that signify their birth order. We met many a Dewa and Made (first and second). Most of our drivers were fluent in English, and as children, were taught to play a traditional instrument, perform a traditional dance (which we saw one of…there are several), or study a martial art…or all three! They also drove us through many mountain villages that were known for a particular art form, such as wood carving, painting, kite-making, etc. The talent creased into the hills of Bali is unreal.



I ditched “poor” Ben (who can really feel bad for a guy stuck on BALI??) for one day to visit my dear friend, and a former roommate, Melissa. She is living on Java, in a spunky university town called Yogyakarta, where she has been granted the prestigious Fulbright scholarship to do research. The short time spent with her was very special. I loved getting to see her home, favorite local spots, meet her landlord (Ibu), hear her speak conversational Indonesian, and even attend an event at the university she is affiliated with…the U.S. ambassador was the guest of honor, so the Fulbrighters had to make an appearance.






Alas, work beckoned, and I had to say a weepy goodbye to Ben, Melissa, and the exquisite archipelago. Thank you, Lord, for such a rejuvenating week of sleep, balanced meals, sunshine, and special people.

1 comment:

Michele Ruby said...

Kim, thanks for the update! I wish I could been the proverbial fly (mosquito) on the wall! I have seen Ben. He is a dear. He and ROy are having lunch later this month. Praying for you...
Love you, Michele