Sunday, October 12, 2008

Greetings from South Asia!


This Saturday marked the one-week anniversary of my arrival. Although it seems like forever since I left San Francisco, it has only been a week and a half...wow, really?! It's true what has been said about days spent in another culture actually being the equivalent of weeks, due to the amount of new information/experiences an individual is taking in...hopefully, by keeping this blog, I will better remember and be better able to process what is happening here on a daily basis.

Thus far, I have been acquainted with my new roommates (yes, all five...count them: FIVE), and co-workers; oriented to my new office, flat (i.e. apartment-extraordinaire), and role as a Fellow. I'll be working on becoming acquainted with the neighborhood for a good while....I can't even remember how to pronounce my street name yet! Oi!

In the coming weeks, I will try to post entries detailing my life here, as much as I am allowed;o). If you have any particular requests for information, please feel free to email me directly at: kjwhitta@gmail.com.

Thanks for keeping up with what's happening...

For now, here's my Top Ten of Living with Five (other) Girls:
10) There is a collaborative appreciation for dancing...
09) There is always someone to talk to...
08) Our place is always well-stocked for life's necessities...
07) Our apartment complex security guards are very protective of our group.
06) We all fit in an auto...whether on laps or side-bars.
05) There are plenty of shoes to choose from...
04) There were plenty of traditional outfits to choose from for my first day in the field...
03) Collectively, they have been through it all! So, I am saved from a number of embarrassing occurrences daily...
02) I have yet to cook a meal for myself (everyone is very generous, thoughtful, and seem to have uncanny skills in the art of cooking).
01) I have yet to be late to work...with four people depending on you, there's no way I want to be the last one ready!