Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mossie Woes


Disgusted. Disturbed. Concerned. The expressions on the villagers' faces as they pointed and gawked at my swelling mosquito bite (see the self-portrait) were actually rather amusing; especially considering they had just been laughing about the fact that the mother had birthed her seventh child the week prior to this home visit. No doctors, no midwife: Just her and a neighbor woman. She had thrown that bit of information in after talking for a good twenty minutes (this was also amusing, though troubling). Mere minutes before this, I had met a man missing part of his second toe, as a result of leprosy. And they were showing ME pity? It was priceless.



Later that night, while sharing this story with my roommates, they enlightened me a bit. Apparently, the horrified looks were most likely brought on by the villagers' belief that the grotesque red bulge on my arm WAS leprosy, as my bite looked similar to the early stages of the disease.

So, yes, the mossies (a new Australian term I learned yesterday) seem to enjoy feasting on me…and, after watching the bite pictured grow for two more days, I finally made a visit to the doctor's. He was a pleasant man, who reassured me that "this is the normal reaction to our bug bites. For another three to six months, it will be like this." Fabulous. He then listed many useful tips, such as 1) sleep in a mosquito net (now, why hadn't I thought of that?); 2) wear long, 100% cotton sleeves (in THIS heat?! You've got to be kidding!); 3) use mosquito repellent (what if I WAS wearing repellent? What then??). At this, I paid him the grand equivalent of US$5.00 for his kindness in humoring me and made my way to work. Note: My ex-pat co-workers tell me that none of their reactions to bites have been like mine.

No comments: